December 21, 2010

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

It took me three years to read this book. It called to me, but it was too long. Didn't have the time. A month ago my daughter read it. She told me a bit about it, said it was a bit unusual and disconcerting for her. I finished my last book, had nothing around to read, so I picked it up. I've just finished it and write this with tears. This is one of the most brilliantly written books I have ever read. Period. It is a story, narrated by Death, of a little German girl, growing up in Nazi Germany. She finds life in words, and in the people around her who are both heroic and demonic. Not really a holocaust story. Not really a WWII story. This is a human story told from the German side, one we rarely read. Not all students will be ready for this book in middle school, but it is one that all of you should eventually read.
Reed Reads Score: 5

No comments: